Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lighting in Post with exr image files.

I was up til about 3am last night trying to figure out a specific render element process and I stumbled upon another process. The images below are: A beauty pass, layers in photoshop that explain how I put these images back together, and a render of each light by its self in the scene. So whats going on?

All these images are rendered as exr file formats. These file format store a lot of color data inside them.
They can exceed normal 8-bit color ranges since an exr is a 32bit floating point format. They are all added togther in Photoshop using LinearDodge(Add). Each image has a  exposure color adjustment layer attached to it. Now I can go through and adjust my lights in post separately saving a lot of rendering time. Here is the file if you want to play with it. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1686284/Lighting_In_Photoshop.psd

After realizing you can do this, it makes me think how I ever worked before. Adjusting my light over and over then rendering and waiting and waiting. It makes me want to go back and re-render all my other work.

I was talking with my friend Erich who works at DreakWorks about this process and he said this is how they do all their lighting. Not with Photoshop though ;) So I was a little happy about figuring this process out. 

-Render each light by its self as an exr.
-Put back together your image in a compositing package by ADDITIVE.
-Apply exposure to each of your light renders.


Hold Alt while your exposure adjustment layer is selected, then click your layer that has your render. This will connect it only to that specific layer. 




The noise in the shadows are due to low light samples.




Thursday, September 20, 2012

Swan Chair for the dragon fireplace scene.

I was shopping at the mall and saw a swan chair similar to the one that I created below. I started modeling it a few month ago and just now finished the texturing. The chair is a small piece for a larger scene. It will be in front of the dragon fireplace in the final render.





 3ds max and Zbrush was used for the modeing. Photoshop was used for the diffuse, spec and bump maps. 









V-Ray Materials were used for the chair. For the diffuse, I ran the textures through a V-Ray dirt map. The unoccluded areas had the normal diffuse texture and the areas on the model that were closer together(occluded), had a color corrected darker version of the original.

The wood  has a tiny bit of reflection. Just enough to catch a bit more lit so it didn't feel  flat. Also to give the appearance of oils and such collecting on the wood. The leather has a bit more reflection than the wood. The bump map helps a lot with the shader breaking up the reflection. 












Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ive been busy

Its been a month since my last post but I have been busy! I recently bought a new car. I modeled the interior and exterior in max. As you can see, that's not what the image is. Ill post those in a bit . I want to render it out with some hdr's first.

The dragon fire place is uv-mapped with all the maps baked out and render in 3ds max! Simple lighting test. Vray rectangular light with linear workflow. Real basic Vray material on it with a bit of gloss so the stone wasn't to flat. The circular stones around the chimney need to be a bit bigger and I need to raise the ground a bit near the base of the dragons neck. The entire scene is going to be posted soon! Cant wait to get all the maps on their and light it up.